Saturday, July 25, 2009

Being smart has it's disadvantages

When people you meet find out that you go to ruse. They suddenly get one of these 3 stereotypes:
- you're extremely smart
- you're a farmer with no taste whatsoever and no life
- you do 4u maths, chem, phys, eco and english which you only do because you have to

sadly. the 3rd one is true.
the reason i bring this up is that this girl on msn (who i've never ever met before in my life but she claims she's seem me over 50 times. which scares me) is constantly pestering me on msn literally with a new maths question every 5 minutes. it's like that's all she ever does - maths.
being ruse, she expects me to have the answers to everything, and thankfully they are all do-able .
at first i didn't mind it because it refreshed my mind and made me feel good i was helping someone out, but now it's just getting annoying. i really feel the urge to block her.

i remember at north sydney girls afternoon tea and we were all sitting around and just chit-chatting someone just asks me what subjects i do. and you know naturally i go through them. and they just start cracking up
"hey! this guy does 4u maths phys chem AND eco !"
in my mind i was thinking. whats the big deal. but you know. fitted into the perfect ruse stereotype



and as for the 2nd point. one of my friends was going off about her skin and hair or whatever and i was criticizing her for caring so much about her looks.
and i got this in return:
" i don't wanna be some ruse farmer who wears crap clothes and doesnt care about how they look"
which kinda surprised me seeing as its a really inaccurate take on us .

and it is always the same line i hear with new people:
"awesome, i finally have someone who can help me with maths"

i guess i don't think much of it anymore because been used to it for quite a while. doesn't really bother me either.
what i like about our school is that we can joke about these things and put these stereotypes on ourselves. i guess we are pretty nerdy though in general

the way i see it is that we're all trees in a canopy of a rainforest competing for sunlight. some will get higher than others but overall as a bunch we are higher than other trees in the rainforest.
seeing people out there blatantly let other people know that they're really good makes me cringe a bit though. nobody likes a show-off . although i might be hypocritical in this sense.


anyways what happened recently:
- made steak and hot chips masterchef style and they turned out to be very nice.
- lotsa UMAT preparation
- falling a bit sick
- worrying a bit about last prefect news
- appreciating cadetship people's experiences through their blogs
- picking up on exercise although asthma is kicking back in

on the topic of exercise, i was running laps of the park yesterday and at this one point i ran past a "sydney buses" bus parked weirdly at the bus stop with all its lights off . and as i looked inside, there was just this one guy in there just sitting really still. i took about 2 more laps to only see the same thing. very strange
also the day before yesterday was running in the sun-rain which gave me this most amazing view of the park as i was running around. i wanted to take a photo with my phone i was using as an mp3. but i didn't wanna stop my run.


i will end it there for now. enjoy the rest of your holidays everyone

2 comments:

  1. I finally know the secret of how you pick up:
    NERDINESS!!!

    yeah I'm getting sick of the stereotypes too, I hear it's really bad at uni in first year too.

    I was with some friends in second year uni, who are doing some first year courses. Apparently all first years do is ask what school did you go to and what was your UAI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you don't have a DSLR to capture the park goodness.

    I've had that pestering done to me before at like 1am, luckily he stopped but he still adds me on msn. I don't remember what he looks like.

    Meh, we're not smart, other people are dumb ;)

    ReplyDelete